Noise Nuisance

Report a Noise or Nuisance Problem

If you have a problem that you need to report to us please complete our ' Report a Noise Nuisance Form'

What we don't cover?

  • Military Noise (including low flying aircraft)

  • Noise from the emergency services

  • One-off incidents of noise

  • Parking on grass verges

  • Storm damage (including fencing, sheds, fallen trees etc)

  • Land drainage (streams, ditches etc) Please refer to our 'Land Drainage Leaflet' for more information

  • Wild birds (peacocks etc)

What do we cover?


You can report all of these using the link at the bottom of this page.

What should I do?

The person causing the noise may not be aware that there is problem, it is often a good idea to speak to them and discuss the matter.  You may however find a direct approach difficult, or you may choose to make the matter more formal by completing Report a noise or nuisance problem  . It is helpful if you have kept some recent records ( Icon for pdf Nuisance Record Sheet [29.33KB] ) of the dates and times that the noise has caused you disturbance before contacting the council.

A record sheet MUST be filled out before a complaint will be investigated fully by the council.

What can the Council do?

If the noise is causing a serious nuisance, Breckland Council has a legal obligation to investigate.  For a problem to be a statutory nuisance, it must affect you within your home or garden and be unreasonable.  If our investigations prove that there is a statutory nuisance an abatement notice can be served.

What can I do if the council decide that they are unable to take any action?

You may be able to take your own Icon for pdf Private Action for Noise Nuisance [16.64KB] .

Someone has complained about me, what should I do?

If you feel the person making the complaint has the wrong person please call the council to discuss the issue.


Throwing or setting off fireworks in the street is an offence under the Explosives Act 1875. This is enforced by police, with a fine of up to £5000.

If a local authority officer judges noise from fireworks to be a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, they can issue an abatement notice - however, as firework noise is short lived, in practice it can prove difficult to locate the source. Fireworks are usually only allowed to be used before 11pm and after 7am, there are however extensions in place for the following festivals:

Until 1 am on the night of Chinese New Year

Until 1 am on the night of Diwali

Until 1 am on New Year's Eve

Until midnight on 5th November

Bird Scarers

Bird Scarer Code of Practice.

Above is a direct link to the Code of Practice.

As a minimum, operators of bird scarers should:

  1. Place the scarer as far away from residential properties as possible, point them in the opposite direction and use baffles.

  2. Avoid using auditory scarers within 200m of sensitive buildings before 7am (or 6am if sunrise is earlier)

  3. Take note of the prevailing wind when siting scarers.

  4. Use reflective or absorbent baffles (e.g. straw bales) to concentrate the sound onto the field and away from neighbouring properties.

  5. Try not to use auditory scarers on a Sunday

If you are a farmer or landowner please register your bird scarer with the Council using the below form.  This is only a short form and the information would let us know where they are being used in the Breckland area, so that any issues can be resolved quickly and easily.

Icon for word Bird Scarcer Registration Form [352KB]

Military Manoeuvres

Below is a list of planned military manoeuvres:

Icon for pdf Military Movements 14-20 August 2017 [100.97KB]

Icon for pdf Military Movements 21-27 August 2017 [101.91KB]

Icon for pdf Military Movements 4th - 10th September 2017 [72.84KB]