Street Trading Consent

Information on how to apply for Street Trading Consent.

Street Trading Consent

Street Trading - Designation of Consent Streets Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Breckland Council decided to amend existing street trading controls by designating all streets in its area as 'Consent Streets' as of 1 March 2013.

A Consent Street is a street in which street trading can only take place if the consent of the local authority has first been obtained.

Street Trading is defined as the selling or exposing or offering for sale of any article (including a living thing) in a street.  For the purposes of this requirement the term 'street' means any road, footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment.

Anyone who wishes to operate as a street trader in Breckland will be required to hold a valid Street Trading Consent.

It is an offence to operate as a street trader without this prior approval.

Details of the scheme and those activities affected can be found in the Icon for pdf street trading guidance [486.8KB] .

You will need to complete an  Icon for pdf street trading application form [1.06MB] to apply. Completed applications should be returned by post to the Licensing Team, together with the annual fee of £408 and copies of appropriate supporting documents (details on the application form).

Where a charity intends to undertake fundraising activities that involve the sale of goods from a stall located in any road, footway, or other area to which the public have access without payment then Street Collection provisions may apply.  In this case a combined Street Collection permit would be applicable.  No fee is payable and details on how to apply can be found here

Please remember that anyone intending to sell food may also need to register with the local authority where the vehicle, trailer or stall is usually parked over night.  Further details on registration can be found here

If you require further information or are unsure if you need a licence please contact us by phone or by web form Web form (opens in a new window)