What Paperwork Do I Need?

Advice for new & existing food businesses

The law requires all food businesses to understand the hazards associated with the food they handle and the controls necessary to ensure that public health is protected. This requires appropriate food safety handling procedures to be adopted and checks to ensure that hazards are properly controlled.

The nature of the food safety procedures and checks required will depend on the nature of the business and the types of food handled. For example, the requirements for a caterer producing ready to eat meals will be different to someone making cakes or selling vegetables.

The law requires procedure to be put in place based on the principles of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points). There is no one standard legal format, with every business free to adopt their own system, provided they can demonstrate the safety of the foods produced.

For ease, the Food Standards Agency has developed 'Safer Food Better Business' in various formats, as an example food safety management system for use in different types of catering and retail outlets. The procedures and standards set out in this, if followed, are deemed to meet the legal requirements. Further information can be found at: on the Food Standards Agency website


New food businesses

Icon for pdf Food Registration Form [18.5KB]

'There is no fee payable to make a new application to register as a food business establishment.  It can be sent to us through the post (please see form for return address details), or as a signed & scanned email attachment to foodandhealth&safety@breckland.gov.uk.  It is required for anyone dealing with food in their business activity; this include home caterers.  It also is a requirement for any new owner (food business operator) who is taking over an existing food business as a going concern.

The Food Hygiene Registration Form should be completed by food business operators in respect of new food business establishments and be received by the relevant Food Authority (i.e. Breckland Council) 28 days before commencing food operations.  In the case of a change of ownership, the registration form should be completed and returned as soon as possible.

Please refer to the additional contacts for business start-ups that are listed at the bottom of this page.


Approved Premises

Approved premises are businesses that handle meat or dairy products under certain circumstances. These are generally those who manufacture or wholesale these foods, and require strict regulation.

Icon for pdf Application for Approved Premises Form [253.86KB]

Icon for word Approved Food Premises List [99KB]


Business Specific Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) Packs


Retailers/Shops/Local Super Markets

Indian. Pakistani & Sri Lanka (In English)

Chinese (In Cantonese)


Carehomes (not nursing homes)


In addition Breckland has made available opening and closing checks, and 4 weekly reviews in the following languages:

Opening and Closing Checks:

Icon for pdf Opening & Closing Checks Mandarin [112.58KB]

Icon for pdf Opening & Closing Checks Turkish [80.59KB]

Icon for pdf Opening & Closing Checks Bengali [46.46KB]

Icon for pdf Opening & Closing Checks Portuguese [9.49KB]


4 Weekly Review Checks:

Icon for pdf 4 Weekly Checks Chinese [232.52KB]

Icon for pdf 4 Weekly Checks Turkish [88.22KB]

Icon for pdf 4 Weekly Checks Bengali [44.86KB]

Icon for pdf 4 Weekly Checks Portuguese [16.96KB]


My diary has run out. What shall I do?

Please download the refill below:

Diary Refills from FSA website

Icon for pdf Diary Refills direct download [187.75KB]


Low risk food businesses (including voluntary and charity)

In addition to the above 'Home Caterer' checklist, Breckland Council has also produced a new booklet for people wanting to set up and run a food business from their own home. Download a copy of  Icon for pdf 'Advice for Home Caterer: Considerations and implications in running a food business from home' [2.5MB] .

Breckland has developed checklists for various types of food business. You may either download or request from the list below: from " Further information-Food safety checklists"

These should be used in conjunction with a diary or note of non-conformances. Your Food safety officer will advise you further when they inspect you.

Icon for pdf Shops and Stalls selling wrapped low-risk foods only including Health Foods, Dried Foods, Sweets, Frozen Foods and Chemists, Off-licences, Greengrocers and Farm-gate Sales [41.92KB]

Icon for pdf Playgroups, Pre and After School Groups serving only drinks, biscuits etc and food provided by parents [43.94KB]

Icon for pdf Low Throughput Poultry Slaughterhouses (Less than 10,000 per year) [42.15KB]

Icon for pdf Village Halls, Community Centres not preparing food other than drinks and biscuits etc [40.85KB]

Icon for pdf Bed and Breakfast Premises not serving evening meals [41.97KB]

Icon for pdf Cold stores, warehouses, haulage depots, wholesalers, milk and other distributors, and bases for stalls and mobiles [41.45KB]

Icon for pdf Home Caterers including cake makers [45.98KB]


Additional Contacts for Business Start-ups:

Food Standards Agency: Starting a food business

Breckland Food Safety Training

Sale of Alcohol: Refer to the Licensing webpages if selling alcohol on the premises, or your business includes the provision of  late night refreshment (hot food or drink, consumed on or off the premises, between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00) as you will require a licence: Alcohol and Entertainment

Mobile Catering:  Several key areas of advice, including food business registration, street trading consent, food safety training programme and putting in place a food safety management system can be accessed via:  Mobile Catering

'Change of Use' and Planning Permission: If the food business involves a different type of use of the premises compared to previously, then an application for 'change of use' under planning legislation may need to be made at an early stage, before committing to any significant expense that cannot be recovered (i.e. changing the internal layout, fitting out the premises etc).  This may also apply if running a food business from your own home, subject to the scale of operation.  Refer to:  Do I Need Planning Permission?

Building Regulation Approval: Even if Planning Permission is not required, you may still need to apply for this type of approval if undertaking building works.  Refer to  Building Control

Business Rates: You shall need to check the implications of any new business proposal to determine what amount of business rates may be payable - this could even include your own home if part of the property is to be used for running a business.

New Business Support & Business Finance Options: Refer to the Economic Development Team's web page:  Business Support