What paperwork do I need?

information about registering a food business, seeking approval and setting up food safety management procedures.

What Paperwork Do I Need?

The law requires all food businesses to understand the hazards associated with the food they handle and the controls necessary to ensure that public health is protected. This requires appropriate food safety handling procedures to be adopted and checks to ensure that hazards are properly controlled.

The nature of the food safety procedures and checks required will depend on the nature of the business and the types of food handled. For example, the requirements for a caterer producing ready to eat meals will be different to someone making cakes or selling vegetables.

The law requires procedure to be put in place based on the principles of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points). There is no one standard legal format, with every business free to adopt their own system, provided they can demonstrate the safety of the foods produced.

For ease, the Food Standards Agency has developed 'Safer Food Better Business' in various formats, as an example food safety management system for use in different types of catering and retail outlets. The procedures and standards set out in this, if followed, are deemed to meet the legal requirements. Further information can be found at: https://www.food.gov.uk/business-

Specialist Groups

Additional guides have been produced for:

For low risk operations, it may be appropriate to use a daily checklist, with any identified problems recorded in a simple desk diary. Checklists are available for:

  • Bed & Breakfast not serving evening meals

  • Wet sales only pubs

  • Home caterers producing only cakes

  • Playgroups, Preschool and After school Groups serving only drinks and biscuits and food provided by parents

  • Village Halls, Community Centres not preparing food other than drinks and biscuits

  • Low throughput seasonal poultry slaughterers


Additional Diary Sheets

As there is no legal requirement for the style of daily records, a business is free to use any form of daily record. This can be the Safer Food Better Business re-fill diary, an electronic diary or a simple desk diary, or equivalent. The refill diary pack can be downloaded from the Safer Food Better Business webpages and photocopied as required.

Additional help

Breckland Council has also made available the following documents:

A leaflet for Home Caterers Icon for pdf Home Caterers Leaflet [45.98KB]


Check sheets in different languages:

Opening and Closing Checks:

Opening & Closing Checks Mandarin

Opening & Closing Checks Turkish

Opening & Closing Checks Bengali

Opening & Closing Checks Portuguese


4 Weekly Review Checks:

4 Weekly Checks Chinese

4 Weekly Checks Turkish

4 Weekly Checks Bengali

4 Weekly Checks Portuguese

- See more at: http://beta.breckland.gov.uk/article/3490/What-Paperwork-Do-I-Need-#My Diary Has Run Out, What Shall I Do?