Am I eligible for housing assistance ?

Being eligible for assistance means you are entitled to help with housing from a local authority, if you need it. Although most UK residents are entitled to such help, some people from abroad are not.

You usually qualify if you are :

  • a British or Irish citizen living in the UK
  • an EU citizen working in the UK or with permanent residence
  • from outside the EU but allowed to claim benefits

You might not be eligible if any of the following apply:

  • you are a visitor to this country
  • you are a student from another country or a sponsored immigrant
  • you are an illegal immigrant
  • you are seeking asylum
  • you claimed asylum but the Home Office refused to give you asylum
  • you are not habitually resident in the UK or Ireland
  • the Home Secretary has said you no longer have a right to stay in the UK

The Council will check if you meet immigration and residence conditions. This is more commonly referred to as being 'eligible for assistance'. Further guidance around eligibility can be found on theGov. UK website (opens in a new window) or via theShelter UK website (opens in a new window)

Who has 'no recourse to public funds' (NRPF)?

No recourse to public funds (NRPF) is a condition imposed on someone due to their immigration status. Section 115 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 states that a person will have 'no recourse to public funds' if they are 'subject to immigration control'.This means the person would not be eligible for housing assistance.

For further guidance visit theNRPF website (opens in a new window)

Proving your Identity

Guidance and examples of relevant documentation can be found on theGov.UK website (opens in a new window)

Last updated: 10/01/2019 13:23:58