A person intending to demolish a building or part of a building to which Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 applies must give notice to the Local Authority of that intention.
The notice must specify the building to which it relates and the works of demolition intended to be carried out. A copy of the notice should be given, or sent to the occupier, of any building adjacent to the building to be demolished and the notice should also be sent to theBuilding Control section.
The demolition should not start until the Local Authority has issued a notice under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984 or the relevant period (currently six weeks) has expired.
Aspects of the demolition process on which a Section 81 notice can impose requirements are detailed in Section 82, they include:
- shoring up of adjacent buildings
- weatherproofing exposed surfaces of adjacent buildings
- repair and making good damage to adjacent buildings
- removal of material and rubbish resulting from the demolition
- disconnecting and sealing drains or sewers in or under the building
- removing any such drains or sewers
- making good the surface of the ground where drains or sewers have been sealed or removed
- making disconnection arrangements with relevant providers of gas, electricity and water
- health and safety issues relating to the demolition process and burning of materials to protect the public and preserve public amenity
Section 82 also gives details of fines which can be imposed upon summary conviction if a person fails to comply with the notice.
The demolition of certain buildings requires consent under The Town and Country Planning Acts, please contact Development Control on 01362 656870 for further advice.
For advice on noise, dust and other environmental issues relating to demolition, please contact Environmental Health on 01362 656870.
You will need the Adobe Reader software to view these documents, it is available byclicking this link (opens in a new window) - you can close that window after the download and our website will still be available for you to browse.
Notice of intent to demolish form
Last updated: 20/08/2018 13:32:54