11/05/17: Dereham Leisure Centre celebrates tenth anniversary with 10p entry offer
11 May 2017
Breckland residents are being encouraged to make the most of a special offer this weekend, to celebrate the anniversary of a local leisure centre's opening.
Dereham Leisure Centre will celebrate its tenth anniversary over the weekend (13 and 14 May). To mark the occasion, Breckland Council is working in partnership with Parkwood Leisure, the organisation which operates the leisure centre on the council's behalf, to offer access to the swimming pool or gym for just 10p.
The promotional pricing offer aims to encourage members of the local community to visit the centre during the anniversary celebrations, whether they are one of the many regular users or a first time visitor.
Members of the public will be able to take advantage of the 10p offer on both Saturday and Sunday, between 7am-10pm for gym access and during timetabled public or family swim sessions. Access will be subject to capacity limits and normal activity restrictions. For timetable details, go to: http://www.leisurecentre.com/dereham-leisure-centre/TimeTable
- Dereham Leisure Centre was officially opened in May 2007 by Olympic medallist Sharron Davies, MBE (photo available)
- Dereham Leisure Centre has recorded over three million visits - including over one million swim visits and over 470,000 swimming lesson attendances
- Usage of the leisure centre has consistently risen, year on year
- In 2016/17, the leisure centre recorded its highest annual admissions to date - around 383,500. This is a 76% increase on the 217,500 visits recorded in its first year. (Note: admissions/visits may not be unique visitors - ie. one person may visit three times = three admissions/visits)
- In 2016/17, there were over 127,000 visits to the swimming pool
- In 2016/17, there were 55,533 swimming lesson attendances - the centre operates swim lessons as part of its Swim England accredited Aquazone programme, with 106 classes a week catering for all ages and abilities
- In 2016/17, there were 30,720 visits to an exercise class
Staff thanked for dedication
A total of 15 members of staff have worked at Dereham Leisure Centre since it opened in 2007. Representatives from Parkwood Leisure and Breckland Council recently met with the dedicated members of staff to thank them for their hard work over the last decade. They include duty managers, a fitness supervisor, reception staff, recreation attendants, and swimming instructors.
Free year's access for committed member
A number of local people have been members of the leisure centre since the first year. To celebrate the tenth anniversary, the names of all the people who have maintained a membership since 2007 were recently entered into a prize draw.
Mayor of Dereham, Phillip Duigan, selected a winner at random - Sarah Haverson. Sarah commented: "I joined Dereham Leisure Centre as it is close to home and has convenient opening hours - I can easily fit an hour in on the way home after work.
"The staff are all very friendly and on-hand to help or advise whenever needed, whether it be a quick question or to write an exercise programme. I feel comfortable using the gym as there is no judgement and no intimidation.
"I love using all the fantastic cardio equipment in the gym, the cross-trainer being my favourite, and always enjoy a swim in the pool. Since being a member I have raised money for Aspire charity by completing their cross channel swim challenge, swimming the equivalent distance of 22 miles over 12-weeks."
Last updated: 25/09/2018 14:23:38