​​​​​​​Types of applications and permissions

Below are some of the most common types of application. In order to access the forms for these, please visit the Planning Portal to find the form you require. Forms for applications that can't be submitted online can be found here.

Full Planning Permission

Normally required if you wish to make a change in the use of land or buildings and or you wish to carry out works or operations including the erection of buildings/extensions.

It may also be required if development has been carried out without permission and an application is being made to regularise the position.

Householder Application

A householder application is usually required when altering or extending a residential dwelling. This can include, but is not limited to, extensions or erecting outbuildings such as sheds or garages.

Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Larger Home Extension

Some single storey rear extensions (between 3 metres and 6 metres for terraced/semi-detached houses), and between 4 metres and 8 metres for detached houses can be dealt with under this application.

Removal or variation of a planning condition (NOT DISCHARGE OF CONDITION)

Planning conditions are often applied to a planning permission. An application can be made to remove or vary a condition.

Non-Material Amendment

If you wish to make a change to an approved scheme, you will need to submit this type of application. It is preferable that you contact the original case officer to discuss the amendments to ensure that this is the correct type of application.

Discharge of Conditions

The granting of planning permission or listed building consent can be subject to conditions that, for example, require works to be carried out in a certain way. Often these conditions require the written consent of Council confirming the required works have been carried out. This procedure is known as the discharge of a condition. PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME CONDITIONS CAN NOT BE DISCHARGED IF WORKS HAVE COMMENCED

Outline planning permission

An option where you wish to establish whether the principle of a particular development is acceptable before details or "reserved matters" such as design, external appearance and landscaping are submitted.

An application for outline planning permission is normally only appropriate in the case of larger or more complex developments. It is not normally appropriate in the case of householder applications, developments in conservation areas, or changes in the use of premises.

Approval of Reserved Matters

Required where outline permission has previously been granted. Will require full details on design, access, layout, scale and landscaping.

Listed building consent

Normally required when you wish to carry out works to a listed building. This would include internal works to the building.

Advertisement Consent

Normally required when you wish to display an advertisement, including many types of shop fascias or signage. For more detailed guidance please check the central government leaflet about outdoor adverts and signs.

Tree Work Consent

Usually required to prune or fell a tree which is either within a conservation area or protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). For more information visit our Tree & Countryside pages .

Certificate of Lawfulness for a Proposed Use or Development

Appropriate where you wish to seek formal confirmation from the council that proposed development (including householder development) falls within permitted development allowances or that a proposed use would be a lawful use of the premises and would not require planning permission.

Certificate of Lawfulness for an Existing Use or Development

Appropriate where you wish to regularise an existing use or development and can demonstrate that the use has been in operation for ten years, or a development (including householder extensions) in place for four years.

Icon for pdf Application to Modify or Discharge a Planning Obligation [425.64KB]

This application would be required if you wish to change or remove a Section 106 that was attached to a previous Planning Application.

Last updated: 05/03/2019 08:40:24