Brexit guidance for residents

Below is guidance for residents on key points regarding Britain's exit from the European Union.

Can't find what you're looking for? This is a summary of information issued by central government. Further advice for residents is available on thecentral government website.

If you want more information, you cansign up for email alerts from central government.


EU Citizens' rights

If you're an EU citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to theSettlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you'll get either settled or pre-settled status.

Settled status means you will remain eligible for:

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • Public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements

You'll need to register for the scheme online by 30 June 2021.

If you're an Irish citizen you don't need to apply under the Settlement Scheme. The Government has publishedguidance on the rights of Irish citizens under the Common Travel Area, which are not dependent on UK's future relationship with the EU.


International travel

If the Withdrawal Act is ratified, UK citizens can continue to travel to the EU states on the same basis as now until the end of December 2020.

In the event of no-deal, points to consider for travel to EU/ EEA are:

  • Passports: Government guidance is that UK passports should be no older than nine years and six months on the day of travel 
  • Visas: both the EU and UK have announced the intention to continue visa-free travel for short trips to the EU
  • Driving licences: anInternational Driving Permit may be required
  • Vehicle Insurance: aGreen Card may be required
  • EHIC cards: Access to reciprocal healthcare using EHIC cards may not be available


Driving in the EU after Brexit

There isGovernment guidance available on driving licences and driving in the EU for UK citizens.

Last updated: 14/03/2019 12:23:32